Information about the author:
Sofiyanina A. Sterlikova
Sofiyanina A. Sterlikova, Historian, Autonomous Non-profit Organisation “Book Club of the Writers’ Union”, Komsomolsky Av. 13, 119146 Moscow, Russia.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0851-1297
The article presents an overview of the journal of the Sukhum diocese “Employee of the Transcaucasian Mission” for 1912–1916. The founder of the magazine, Bishop Andrey (Ukhtomsky), arrived in Abkhazia in the autumn of 1911. He saw his main task in the Christianization of the population. The pages of the journal reflect the stages of this process, the directions of missionary work, analyze successes and failures, and name those who became Bishop Andrew’s co-workers. One of the first and most important undertakings at the Sukhumi department was the initiation of the translation into Abkhazian of St. Gospels. Bishop Andrew’s care was directed to monasteries, churches, parishes, and church schools. They resolved issues of church education, organizing courses for priests, and were given practical advice on teaching children and adults. Serious attention was paid to the fight against superstitions. Invaluable assistance to Bishop Andrei was provided by the Brotherhood of St. Alexander Nevsky. The materials of the magazine “Sotrudnik of the Transcaucasian Mission” are a convincing illustration of how Abkhazia was transformed under the influence of the pastoral sermon of Bishop Andrei, his sincere deep love for the Abkhazians, respect for the history of the people and national traditions.